Skip to main content

True Crime Story

If it wasn't for my recent Read What You Own challenge, I probably wouldn't have read True Crime Story [Joseph Knox]. It's been languishing on my TBR every since I bought it and immediately forgot it existed. 

It was only when I felt the need for something true-crime related that I looked at it again - I figured the title was certainly a step in the right direction. Realising that it is faux true-crime, one of my favourite subgenres, I dived in right away. 

The overall conceit is that the real author of the book is editing this on behalf of a fictional writer friend, who died before completing her investigation into a missing student. She has interviewed all the main players and those interviews are interspersed with her own email conversations with Knox. 
 
The case is that of Zoe, who went missing during a fire evacuation at her student towerblock in Manchester. She is blonde and pretty but far from the ideal 'virginal' missing girl, with an increasingly complex number of secrets that slowly come out. 
The interviews - with her pushy father, her overshadowed twin, her public school boyfriend, her adoring bestie, her choir pal, and several other assorted friends and hangers on - paint a complex picture. The main players disagree with each other, and often dislike each other. This is a cast of unreliable narrators - often reacting defensively to the comments and accusations of others, or revealing more when eventually pushed into it. 

There has been a boom in faux true crime recently - helped along by books like Sadie, A Good Girls Guide to Murder, and The Appeal. True Crime Story has a huge amount in common with similar 'fake true crime' story Penance, and holding them up side-by-side, there's not much in it. I liked both equally. Penance is richer in society and culture, but this has more authentic access to the main players. Both deal with the fake writer's motives being questioned and in both cases, I consider those to be the weakest sections of the book. With a little time between reading it and writing this piece, I'd say that True Crime Story has settled in my memory as the flashier, but least substantial of the two. 

Where Penance felt like a prestige true-crime documentary, this feels like a sleazy podcast. The twists are meant to be shocking, but are increasingly bizarre. One feels Knox holding the structure of the novel together with his fingertips. As the story descends into French gangland kidnappings, hidden passageways, mysterious watchers, and twins impersonating each other... the whole thing grows increasingly silly. At one point Knox implicates himself, which doesn't make the least sense. By the [SPOILER] entirely predictable murder of the fictional interviewer (who has, of course, just announced her pregnancy) I all but rolled my eyes. 

However, this book does (mostly) tie things up with a neat bow. The author knows we crave a satisfying resolution and gives us a comprehensive 'whodunnit' ending.

To my surprise, this book even creeped me out. I am a horror fan, so I'm rarely thrown by much except serious body horror/gore, but several relatively mild elements of this story freaked me out after finishing it late at night. Suddenly my four walls felt a little less safe. 

Ultimately, if you like true crime, or even murder mysteries, you will probably enjoy this. 
I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche