Skip to main content

My Read What You Own Challenge [2023/2024]

I know, I know... I said that I was avoiding reading challenges for the foreseeable in an attempt to escape my reading slump. But in my defence, this isn't so much a reading challenge as a 'for the love of God, stop buying books' challenge...

Criminolly, the excellent pulp fiction vlogger, has an annual 'read what you own' challenge, which has inspired me to curtail my book spending for a while. I've realised that I'm starting to treat buying an on-sale book like a daily coffee... but instead of a caffeine buzz I get the serotonin from a small purchase, and then an increase in pressure as my TBR pile grows at pace I simply can't keep up with, and fills with books I'm not vastly interested in reading. Add to that my recent twenty-one book spree... it's time for some restraint.

So what does the challenge involve? Simply, stop buying books until you've read a certain amount of your TBR. Criminolly - a faster reader than me - is aiming for a hundred by January. I'm going for a more conservative thirty books before my March birthday. Not buying books also includes sourcing new books for free - i.e via library loans - and though I'll keep Audible, I'll stick to audiobook versions of books I already own. 

See my progress so far below. I will also try to add the amount I paid for the books, just to give an idea of the financial investment my TBR actually is... 

How Are You Finding Not Buying Books?

Pretty hard, actually. I already nearly cracked when I heard about a title that was practically made for me. Equally, the daily Kobo deals add a level of FOMO to the challenge. 

Getting a 99p book has become a little pick-me-up treat when I'm bored at work, and the occasional £5-£10 splurge on several titles has become a symbol of the success in my life - being able to afford that treat instead of agonising over it. I'm not sure this break will change that, but I'm hoping it's going to make me a little bit more discerning in future. 
 
EDIT 28/11/23: Having a tough time, since my brain has decided that it wants to read one book desperately, and I can get it free from the library in a single click... but I can't. It's hard knowing that I probably won't feel that urge for that book in three months. I have to have faith that it's on my list and eventually its time will come.

EDIT 01/12/23: My brain is still loudly demanding to read that one book and so I have 'broken' the ban and loaned it from the library. As a strong mood reader, there's no point stalling my desire to read for the sake of arbitrary rules. But in all other respects, the Read What You Own challenge is continuing.

EDIT: 26/12/23: I've bought a few books. In my defence it's Boxing Day (the UK's version of Black Friday), I stuck to titles on my wishlist, and I used a gift card I got from my boss. I'm also so close to my 30 book target that I allowed myself some fun after a rough Christmas. Despite being near my target far earlier than planned, I will be continuing the ban until March so I will hopefully read an even bigger chunk of my TBR pile. 

EDIT: 22/02/24: With real life stress ramping up (who knew buying a flat was difficult?!) I've gone from not wanting to buy books to an addict-like craving for a 'fix'. I desperately want to pop five or six titles in a cart and get that dopamine rush from clicking 'purchase now'. This shows the unhealthy relationship I have had with books in the past, and how consumerism has infected my attitude towards them. 

How Are You Choosing What to Read?

One of the absolute joys of this project so far is not knowing what I'm going to read next. I don't have a vague plan for the next few books, but am instead letting every new read be unexpected. I've specifically chosen some books that (under normal circs) I probably wouldn't get to for years, if ever, and the feeling of finishing a book that you didn't give a second glance to before is wonderful.

The Books

1. The Cherry Robbers by Sarai Walker
The newest book on my TBR, bought during my twenty-one book spree. Glad to get it out of the way, if only because it's a large book and I haven't got a lot of room.
Cost: £4.50 [Hardback]

2. The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman
Bought after reading Practical Magic last year. In my defence, I was waiting for Autumn to read it.
Cost: 99p [Digital]

3. Bloodlust and Bonnets by Emily McGovern 
A book I have had cluttering up my room for nearly a year. Breezed through it in an hour. 
Cost: £9.59 [Paperback, Graphic Novel] 

4. The Watches of the Night by Darcy Lindbergh
I bought this (alongside six or seven others) when a small Sherlockian press was having a big sale several years ago.
Cost: £2.25 [Digital]

5. Pine by Francine Toon
This was definitely a 'deal of the day' purchase last year, when I was getting my enthusiasm for reading back after a long slump. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]

6. Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeannette Winterson
I added this after watching a documentary on Winterson... about five Christmases ago. 
Cost: Free [Digital]

7. The Northern Lights Lodge by Julie Caplin
I probably never would have read this without this challenge, but I had a great time with it. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]

8. A Taste of Gold and Iron by Alexandra Rowland
This would have languished unread for years based on my Romantasy prejudices, but it blew my mind. Glad I did the challenge for this alone. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]
 
9. A Curious History of Sex by Kate Lister
One of those books that has sat on my Audible Plus list for ages with only a vague 'maybe I'll get around to that someday'. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth for my membership!
Cost: Free [Audiobook via Audible Plus]

10. Blue Ticket by Sophie Mackintosh 
I think I picked this up on sale and it absolutely would have been forgotten about without this challenge. In this case I'd have probably preferred that... 
Cost: 99p [Digital]
 
11. We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix
I love Grady Hendrix and this audiobook was just sitting there, unnoticed in my Audible Plus list. A symptom of how many great books I am overlooking because of overwhelming numbers.
Cost: Free [Audiobook via Audible Plus]

12. Motherthing by Ainslie Hogarth
A book that got a lot of buzz around October. I probably would have got to this sooner rather than later but it was nice to have the push. 
Cost: 89p [Digital]
 
13. Perfect Nonsense by David and Robert Goodale [based on The Code of the Woosters by P.G Wodehouse]
This is the play script for a play I've seen twice, based on a book I have read numerous times. I really bought it because I didn't think I'd get the chance to ever see it again and wanted to relive the play memories. Then I didn't read it for four years. 
Cost: £6.64 [Digital]

14. Men Who Hate Women by Laura Bates 
This was one of those Audible Plus catalogue books I was pretty certain I was never going to get around to. I'm glad I did, relentlessly grim as it was, as it opened my eyes to things I'd not pieced together.
Cost: Free [Audiobook via Audible Plus]

15. Doctor Who: The Wonderful Doctor of Oz by Jacqueline Rayner 
I was always going to buy a Doctor Who book about Missy (my bae) and by Jacqueline Rayner (the most fan-service friendly Who author) but I stalled on reading it for eighteen months anyway. 
Cost: £3.99 [Digital]
 
16. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
I had a copy of this and gave it away after failing to get through the first few pages and then being guilted by it for years. Then I got it as part of the Audible Plus catalogue and it guilted me there instead. Done. And it was bloody easy too! 
Cost: Free [Audiobook via Audible Plus]
 
17. The Solstice Cabin by Arden Powell
Calling this a novel is a bit much, as it's only 27k words, but it's been sitting on my unread list since at least last Christmas. A lovely little winter treat.
Cost: Free [Digital]

18. The Windsor Knot by S.J Bennett
I picked this cheap 'The Queen solves a murder' mystery up in The Works so long ago that it was already dusty before the the Queen even died....  
Cost: £1.66 [Paperback]

19. Mortal Follies by Alexis Hall 
A more recent purchase, and one I probably would have read this year anyway. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]
 
20. Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie 
Had a sudden craving for festive murder mystery and so grabbed this from my digital TBR pile. It's a bit recycled in places; it's also not particularly festive. But as always with Christie, it's an easy, relaxing read. 
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]
 
21. Father Christmas's Fake Beard by Terry Pratchett
Read as part of my Short Story Advent. I've had this kicking around unread for ages.  
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]

22. Let Your Hearts Be Light by Fae Quin
I got this free via Kindle and would have put my odds of ever reading it at less than one percent. But I had a great time! 
Cost: Free [Digital]

23. Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan
Been saving this for frosty Christmas. Not hugely memorable, but I enjoyed it... 
Cost: 99p [Digital]

24. The Maidens by Alex Michaelides
I got this in my discount book spree but actually ended up listening to the majority in audiobook form. I think it's overall fine but will forever be tainted by the difficult family circumstances I was experiencing whilst listening to it. 
Cost: £2.70 [Physical]
 
25. Murder Under the Christmas Tree by Various Authors 
A short story collection from both classic and modern crime writers. I've had this so long that I genuinely have no memory of getting it... 
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]

26. O Little Town of Deathlehem by Various Authors 
Possibly the book that's been guilting me longest. I got this in a Storybundle EONS ago. I tried to read it twice before and failed.
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]

27. Icelandic Folktales 
I got this free and would have bet my life I would never get around to reading it. Yet here I am!
Cost: Free [Digital]

28. My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland
I started this once and wasn't impressed after a few lines. Gave it another go and found it surprisingly excellent.
Cost: 99p [Digital]

29. The Valancourt Book of Victorian Ghost Stories by Various 
I got this in the same story bundle as O Little Town of Deathlehem but have to admit it was a more painful slog.
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]

30. Scorched Grace by Margot Douaiy
One of those 'bought it because I was obsessed with the idea then... whoops didn't read it for six months' books.
Cost: £1.79 [Digital]

I have now (3rd Jan) reached my goal! But I will still be continuing until March to see just how far I can get through my TBR. 

Bonus Books

31. Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis 
I enjoyed the first but not enough to rush into the sequel. That was a mistake because this was incredible.  
Cost: £3.99 [Digital]

32. Honey & Pepper by AJ Demas
Another small piece of joy at reading a book that, hand on heart, you were probably never going to get around to. This one was recced highly but didn't appeal that much- until a sudden hankering for Ancient Rome themed books came along!
Cost: Free [Digital]

33. A Thief in the Night by KJ Charles
I've struggled to read KJ Charles recently but wanted something cosy and comforting on a day that I spent unable to get warm. 
Cost: £1.79 [Digital]

34. Venus in Copper by Lindsey Davis 
Another Falco. This time an audiobook from an Audible sale. Wasn't sure I'd get this far into the series but once this book buying ban is over I'll be reading even more. 
Cost: £2.99 [Audiobook]

35. Linghun by Ai Jiang
Genuinely don't remember buying this even though it was only published last year. It's a reminder of how many great books fall by the wayside when books become fast fashion. I paid £4.58 which is incredible for a book I don't even remember acquiring. 
Cost: £4.58 [Digital]

36. Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers
I'm quite poor at keeping up with this series even though I generally enjoy the books when I get to them. This was picked up on sale about a year ago. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]
 
37. The Writing Retreat by Julia Bartz
Bought this on sale because it had a lot of buzz, alongside Death of a Bookseller. Then I hated Death of a Bookseller and everyone added The Writing Retreat to their worst books of 2023 lists. To say I was unenthused about reading it is an understatement. But I actually had a great time, in the way you enjoy reality TV at it's most over-the-top and dramatic. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]
 
38. The Lighthouse Witches by C.J Cooke 
I don't recall either hearing about this or buying it, so am astonished to discover I paid £2.99 for it. Am seriously judging my past self for such fecklessness with money. Nevertheless this was a good read, though not a life-changer.
Cost: £2.99 [Digital]

39. Payback's a Witch by Lana Harper
I was judging myself for buying this when I must have known I probably wouldn't read it and had no idea what it was about... but it turns out that it was free on Kobo. Which is less foolish. Anyway the stars aligned and this was a delightfully cosy queer witchy romance. 
Cost: FREE [Digital]
 
40. Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes by Elinor Gray 
Omg this has been on my TBR for so long. SO long. It's literally the third book on my list. Well so long sucker - that place has been taken by a Doctor Who novel now! In all seriousness this is essentially Sherlock Holmes smut, which would be an easy read if it wasn't written by someone I actually know. Always a bit weird when you've met the author socially! But it's still an excellent read.
Cost: Lord only knows... [Digital]

41. Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit by KJ Parker 
A recent purchase from an author I've been enjoying, maybe only bought a few weeks before I started this project.  
Cost: £1.16 [Digital]

42. A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett
A real mystery. I have no memory at all of where I got this, except a suspicion a friend gave it to me after they'd read it. This was just an absolute joy - I simply poured through it. 
Cost: UNKNOWN, likely gifted [Physical]

43. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton 
You could put me under oath and I still wouldn't remember where I got this. But I have been meaning to read it since high school. 
Cost: UNKNOWN [Digital]

44. Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters by Angel Martinez
Genuinely thought I got this free but I actually paid £2.99 for it?! What was my past self doing?! This was an excellent Brooklyn Nine Nine-style fantasy romance so it was a god call, but I'm still mystified.  
Cost: £2.99 [Digital]

45. Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie 
Picked this up in a library sale in around 2008 and am finally reading it in, er, 2024. 
Cost: 25p [Physical]

46. True Crime Story by Joseph Knox 
I bought this on sale without really knowing what it was (whyy am I like this?). I assumed it was non-fiction but it's actually fictional true-crime which is my fave sub-genre. This knocked my socks off. 
Cost: 99p [Digital]

47. Collected Short Stories by E.M Forster
Literally rescued from oblivion! How satisfying to read a book that would probably have been chucked even by a charity shop. 
Cost: £1.99 [Physical]

48. Gaslight Arcanum by Various
A collection of Horror themed Sherlock Holmes stories that's been hidden in my Kindle archive since 2017.
Cost: £3.76 [Digital]
 
49. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
A book that has been intimidating me for a long, long time. I actually had multiple copies (digital and physical) but the majority was listened to via audiobook. 
Cost: £3.30 [Physical] 

50. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
I've had this ages but the mania around this series put me off a little. I found it to be very enjoyable and I look forward to reading more, but I also think that if it wasn't written by Richard Osman, this wouldn't have been a huge bestseller. 
Cost: Unknown [Digital]

51 Pirate's Queen by Riley West
I've had this in my trashy romance pile for a year or so, and finally got to read it for a 'trashy pirate book club'. Emphasis on the first word in that description... 
Cost: Free [Digital]

52. Bunny by Mona Awad 
This is a TikTok craze book which is one of the reasons I stalled on actually reading it. But it was there for me at just the right time. 
Cost: Unknown [Digital]

53. Defending Jacob by William Landay
I bought this on a sale and even I knew it was a mistake at the time - it's not really my thing at all. I enjoyed it but it was nothing special.  
Cost: 99p [Digital]

54. Dead Famous: An Expected History of Celebrity by Greg Jenner
I bought this on sale after extensive social media pressure (I follow the author). I regretted it pretty quickly and abandoned it in my ancient Kindle history. But I recently went through and re-discovered it - which was perfect as I was suddenly in the mood for non-fiction. 
Cost: 99p (probably) [Digital]

55. The Watchers by A. M  Shine
I was putting this off but the movie trailer nudged me into finally giving it a read. 
Cost: Unknown [Digital]

56. A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman 
I regretted buying this as I didn't really enjoy Britt-Marie Was Here... but I'm glad I gave it a go. I even cried a little bit.
Cost: 99p [Digital]

Cost of Books: £77.61

And... that's it! As of March 12 I have completed the challenge and got my TBR down by 56 books! I genuinely enjoyed this challenge and (after a small splurge on books) will be starting another very similar one up again soon!

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche