Skip to main content

The Watchers

With the release of the movie upon us, it seemed like a good time to finally review The Watchers [A. M Shine]. Never say I'm not one for cashing in. 


I had this on my TBR a while but didn't give it much thought. It was a cheap one, bought on sale and almost instantly forgotten. It wasn't until I saw the movie trailer that I recalled what it was about, and the fact it starred Amanda Siegfried caught my attention. I hadn't thought it was that famous.

It actually doesn't star Amanda Siegfried, it stars Dakota Fanning (they look very similar in a dark shot, ok?) but by that point I was interested enough to pick it up.

The Watchers is the story of a young woman who, on a drive through Ireland, breaks down near some remote woods. She stumbles across a small building in a clearing, where three others 'live'. They turn out to be prisoners of mysterious creatures who watch their every move through a large glass panel every night. If they fall asleep, the watchers attack the glass. If they are still in the woods at dusk, they are killed. And with no resources except what they can hunt or gather during the few hours of daylight they also need for sleeping, they are starving and sickening. 

The problem is that this doesn't know what it wants to be, so tries to do it all. It throws in elements of classic body-snatcher sci-fi, with fae folk mythology, ley lines, capitalist criticism, and final girl stuff. I even detected a bit of Moffat-era Doctor Who. It over-complicates things to the point that, despite the building only having two rooms, I lost track of what was happening. Strong, sympathetic characters are built up in the first half, and then spend the remainder of the book either squabbling, betraying each other, or swearing undying devotion. I'm still bewildered at some of the character choices, to be quite honest. 

That's not to say it doesn't have it's moments. It's extremely readable in the first half, and that tension has enough momentum that it's still there even when the author lifts his foot from the pedal. The setting is bleak and memorable, and the situation is fairly unique as horror goes. There's a parrot along for the ride, which is so out of place that it works really well. 

If the author had limited their ambition a little, this could have been solid. This isn't the kind've horror that needs big stakes and answers - and by adding them in the final third, it felt like a whole separate story tacked onto the end. The final scene slips into outright parody. 

Not to go all zoomer for a minute, but this was aggressively mid. It was better than a Kindle Unlimited-level horror, but it definitely hasn't earned a movie - except by virtue of being quite cheap to make.  

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche