Skip to main content

Short Story Spring

One of the absolute joys in life is finding appreciation for something you didn't previously 'get'. For me, short story collections are that thing. 

Whilst I have no issues reading short stories in general, collections and anthologies used to defeat me. I found them more exhausting than novels, much in the same way tapas can be more filling than a large meal. But after trialling a method of reading multiple collections and once, hopping between them as the mood struck, I have become an anthology devotee. 

And so we come onto my Spring challenge. I actually intended to post this at the start of April, and keep it updated as I went, but life took a bit of a turn and so I chose to read the books and round them up later. 


I had expected the books I chose to take the majority of the month, but a combination of three short page lengths and four very easy reads meant I was done in less than two weeks. See what I read below...

The Collections

The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw 
I'm not sure what made me so interested in reading this, yet I was drawn to the title from the moment I saw it. It's a very slim volume of stories focused on the sexual lives of black American women. I say sexual lives rather than sex, because the stories encapsulate how community, family, mothers, care-responsibilities and faith all impact women's relationship with sex. 

It was so wonderful that I had to force myself to slow down and savour the stories. I could have easily read the whole thing over the course of a few hours - it was like dipping into a delicious selection box. I'm planning to write a more in-depth review as I have a lot of thoughts on this one. 

Sinister Spring by Agatha Christie
There are four seasonal Christie collections, of which I have read one other - Midwinter Murder. Since I was hardly going to read this collection in another season, I had to read it now or wait a whole year. 

There's nothing particularly memorable about this collection, though nothing terrible either. I enjoyed it a great deal, but it suffered from 'Spring' being a more nebulous season to build a collection around (not something I experienced when choosing books for this challenge!) 

salt slow by Julia Armfield 
This was probably the book I was most excited to read this year. It was the first on my list of 'books to buy after my book ban'. I adored Our Wives Under the Sea and this was Julia Armfield's breakout collection of queer horror/fantasy. 

And oh, it was perfect. The sheer confidence of the writing took you firmly by the hand, leaving you eagerly following into any strange territory it decided upon. From a teenager's transformation into a Preying Mantis, to a city's population whose ability to sleep mutates into something new, to a woman being lectured by her girlfriend who has just risen from the dead... this one is another one I struggled not to rush through. 

Things We Say in the Dark by Kirsty Logan 
I bought this on sale, forgot about it, and then was drawn to a few lines and decided to give it a go. 

Oh the regret. 

This might be the worst book I actually finish this year. It's similar in subject matter to salt slow, and yet the distance between the two in style and quality is embarrassing. The writing can only be described as the result of a teacher in a creative writing class thinking their student is touched by genius. Any actual ideas the author has are lost in student-ish experimental writing and pretentious literary stylings.

Logan also has a story in the Furies collection and I lasted one paragraph before giving up. 

Furies by Various 
I was... dubious... about this one. A collection based around various pejorative names for women (dragon, wench, hussy, she-devil, etc) walks a fine line with the kind've 'I am woman, hear me roar' feminism I loathe (and that is an open door to TERFs). I want equality in work, home and society, not to be told my fanny is a divine mystery and that girls are the best. 

The authors - which include Margaret Atwood, Sandi Toksvig, Emma Donohue, etc, - were tempting though, and in the end this turned out to be more refreshing, diverse and varied than I expected. 

In short (ha, see what I did there?!) these shorter fiction challenges have really energised me. I will absolutely be doing another over the summer. 

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche