Skip to main content

Into the Bright Open: A Secret Garden Remix

What could be a more perfect Spring read than The Secret Garden? Frances Hodgeson Burnett's cosy gothic story has been one of my favourites since childhood - helped by a stunning film adaptation and my grandmother's own early life in India making me feel somehow connected to it all.

To this day, the book has a sensory impact on me. I can feel the smooth surface of the letter writing block, hear the whoosh of the skipping rope, shudder at the cries in the night, and feel the turn of what must be the most satisfying key in all of literature. 


Surely, then, I must be outraged at a remix of the story? How dare an author move the action to Canada, and add themes of race, sexuality and gender? 'The wokists have made Mary Lennox GAY, and Dickon a NON-BINARY INDIGINOUS PERSON', you can imagine the Daily Mail screaming (thank god they haven't actually discovered this series). 

Well, of course I'm not outraged. Firstly, I'm not a boomer. Secondly, I was raised on fanfiction - playing around with canonical works is my bread and butter. This remixed classics collection aims to give marginalised writers a voice, and of all the remixed titles, this is the one I was keenest to read. 

But still... when I picked up Into the Bright Open [Cherie Dimaline] I was expecting a fairly by-the-numbers YA. I was not expecting to be moved in a way I can barely describe. 

The story is pretty much in line with the familiar one. Mary (a teenager rather than a child) is orphaned and she is sent to her uncle's house in a remote part of Canada. There she befriends the maid and the maid's younger sister, who spends all her time in the wilderness. She discovers she has a cousin, who is hidden away in the house due to her poor health. Then she stumbles upon a secret garden and blossoms under this new life.

There are plenty of changes here. The 'Dickon' of this story is an indigenous - one who questions gender concepts. Mary is enchanted before they even meet and they fall into a tender first romance together with beautiful ease. Olive, Mary's cousin, is much sweeter than Colin, her counterpart, and her illness is much more mysterious. Their friendship is immediate and one of the driving forces of the book. 

The biggest change is the introduction of a 'wicked stepmother', for Mary's never-present uncle has left the care of his child in his new wife's hands. She is an almost comical example of the genre; snobbish, cruel, racist and ultimately violent - and her control over the house is absolute. Yet she works because Mary, a famously stubborn character, truly has something to fight her for: the protection of her new found family. It was so tense that at one moment I literally wailed 'oh my god!!' out loud. 

If the book has a fault - and I'm not prepared to admit it does - it's that the garden itself is overshadowed by the setting. Mary is older and can travel further into the wilderness in ways the original Mary could not - so the garden isn't quite the escape it might have been. However, the author does use medicinal plants (not that kind) grown in the garden to great effect. 

Weeks after finishing this novel, a sort of softness blooms inside of me whenever I think of it. Ultimately it achieves the aim of this collection by introducing me to a new author. Having looked at their other work, I think I'd have overlooked them previously: now I am absolutely reading more. 

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche