Skip to main content

Books with the Same Vibe: The Lamplighters and The Lighthouse Witches

And so we return to my very occasional series, 'books with the same vibe', in which I compare and contrast two books that for one reason or another, have a great deal in common in subject matter, theme, and marketing style.

In this case it's The Lighthouse Witches [CJ Cooke] and The Lamplighters [Emma Stonex] which I read back in 2022. Both are female-focused stories about a group of people who vanish from a lighthouse, and both books switch between the current day and the past to tell their stories, and between multiple POVs. 

People going missing from lighthouses is a common trope, following the real life Flannan Isle mystery, with The Lamplighters being a retelling of that story in a new era, and The Lighthouse Witches certainly taking some inspiration from it. 

Naturally the covers both prominently feature lighthouses, with my preference being the night-sky reds of The Lamplighters over The Lighthouse Witches lovely but rather misleading design. I was under the impression it was a twee story in the vein of Practical Magic until about twenty pages in. 

The Lamplighters is, more or less, a drama with a few elements of mystery and a possible supernatural stinger that you can either believe or ignore. The Lighthouse Witches is more cautious with it's genre, misdirecting the audience towards dark folklore to cover it's true sci-fi nature until the final twists are revealed. The first book examines the complexities of marriage, the latter motherhood. 

In The Lamplighters, three lighthouse keepers vanish from a lighthouse in the seventies. Thirty years later, a writer attempts to interview the three widows, bringing back old memories and unlocking the women's secrets. It's rich with emotional depth, but the plot itself is more about their interwoven history than any complex locked room mystery. 

The Lighthouse Witches follows a single mother in the early nineties, who brings her three girls to an old lighthouse for an art commission to paint a mural. We spend time in the present day with the only surviving daughter, as we learn that her mother and two sisters all vanished from the lighthouse. She is forced to reopen her old memories when her youngest sister is found alive, but without having aged a day. Their stories weave together with the historic witch hunts in the area and the local belief in wildlings - aka changelings. 

For all their similarities, these are very different books and in many ways their problems are the antithesis of each other. The Lamplighters revels in the emotion to the point that the actual plot revelations are somewhat underwhelming. The Lighthouse Witches is so stuffed full of plot that the author can't allow events to unfold naturally and has to really force some characters into position towards the end of the book. 

Where both books succeed, it's in their impeccable vibes, which are again at opposites. The Lamplighters is a book devoted to the sea, and to the isolation inherent to the job of being a lighthouse keeper. If you like books about the ocean, or the intensity of being trapped in a small space with others, or even the aching beauty of being the one to wait for a loved one to return, this is a book for you.

The lighthouse in The Lighthouse Witches is actually superfluous to the story - it could have been a castle, or a ruin, or literally any old building in any isolated country location and the plot wouldn't have changed an iota. Where it succeeds is in the folk horror: the forest, witch burnings, changelings, and the creeping local mythology that brings The Wicker Man to mind. 

At the time of writing, The Lighthouse Witches has the higher rating on Storygraph, whereas I personally lean towards The Lamplighters being the stronger, more polished book. I actually gave the Lamplighters 3.5 stars (in late 2022) and I gave the Lighthouse Witches 3.75 in January 2024. This likely reflects my more generous grading curve over time, and I think The Lamplighters has grown on me with reflection, in a way I suspect the latter won't. 

My suggestion would be to make your choice based on the following: do you want the ocean, or the forest? I know which one I generally want when picking up a book about a lighthouse. 

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche