Skip to main content

I Finally Worked Out My Reading Style

Until very recently, I had no idea reading styles were a thing. I was aware that some people bought a book and read the book, but put that down to them having some sort of inner self-control that I lacked.

Those other strong-willed people didn't have what my mother calls the family 'butterfly brain', putting down books that they are enjoying perfectly well and fluttering off, unable to finish for reasons even they don't understand.

I still haven't finished The Binding which I started long before Covid and enjoyed every moment of until I suddenly put it down and never went back. What are you even meant to call that? A temporary DNF? A ODIF (one-day I'll finish?)

For those of you who do know about reading styles, it must be painfully obvious that I'm a mood reader. I'm not flawed, I'm not especially weird, and I'm no less disciplined than anyone else. My mood controls what I want to read, and what I can process at any one time. Sometimes the thought of reading makes me want to throw up, and sometimes I practically cry because I can't read five books at the exact same moment.

I have no limits on the genres I read, and even genres I don't like (war novels, spy novels, young adult) can still entice me with the right concept. My TBR list is out of control because every book I see might be the answer to 'what I want to read next'... I just don't know when that moment will be. As a result, I've had to rethink my whole approach to buying books, because having six-hundred plus unread books isn't healthy. 

Every time I finish a book I pour through my TBR list, waiting to see what I'm drawn to, and am often outright repulsed at the idea of reading something I was excited about days before. It can be stressful, especially when you don't know why you feel like that. 

When a new release comes out that I am burning with excitement for... I often can't bring myself to read it. Sherlock Holmes and the Highgate Horrors was a recent example of me being excited for a release and then having to outright force myself into reading it.

I won't get too deep into the psychology of it, but one of the big issues I am working through in my personal life is my inability to process and comprehend my own emotions. I spent much of 2021 referring to a picture of the cast of Inside Out to try and figure out what I was feeling at any one moment; that's the primary school level of emotional comprehension I'm currently at. 

So it's possible that if I've had all these emotions swirling around that I don't understand, my brain might have learned to protect itself by avoiding certain books at certain moments. Likewise I might have walked away from books I was enjoying when certain feelings were triggered. 

So is this going to change anything? 

Not really. I've only ever known one way to read, after all. I've seen traditional readers try out mood reading, but I don't think it would be possible for me to adopt a different reading style.

What it does mean is that I can lift a bit of that internalised shame and self-hatred from my shoulders. There's no right way to read, nothing that I'm failing at.

It will hopefully help me with some of my bad habits: not every book I'm excited about needs to be bought immediately. I'm used to the poverty mindset and having lots of books was a comfort, but now things are different; I can just... buy the book I'm drawn to reading, or get it from the library. Obviously I'll still buy books for fun (once my book ban is lifted) but it might help me moderate the impulse.

It means that I'm probably not going to do as many themed challenges. I always have the urge to read horror books in autumn and festive books in December, so they may stay, but otherwise my reading challenges will likely be open to multiple themes and genres, or will stay private and longer-term.

I'm now doing an exercise when I finish a book where I think of the 'type' of book I'm drawn to before looking at the options. Do I feel the claw-like desire for something sharp and literary, or the earthy sensation of mysteries and puzzles? The cool air and cold metal of sci-fi? Or the round, home-y warmth of fantasy? By identifying which of those sensations I'm leaning towards, I can narrow my options down quickly. 

I'm also hoping that it may help in other areas of my life, because it's not just books that I take this approach to. Television is a big one (I still haven't watched Series 2 of Our Flag Means Death, the Doctor Who 60th special aired months ago and I still am not in a place where I can watch it, and I have wandered off from multiple shows I was enjoying.) Gaming is another - yes I did pause a multi-month playthrough I was obsessed with because I missed Horizon Forbidden West and suddenly the thought of shooting a gun when I could fire an arrow was horrendous.  

This isn't some big psychological revelation, but anything that takes away guilt and worry is a good thing. Especially if it helps me read even more books.

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche