Skip to main content

More Books for When You Just Can't Stop Thinking About Ancient Rome

In preparation for my trip to Italy, I read a whole bunch of Ancient Rome themed books designed to educate and entertain me ahead of my holiday. Of course, after two weeks taking in the sights (and eating my bodyweight in pizza and pasta) you can understand that I was done with the theme for a while.

'A while' turned out to be... three months. 

The bite of winter has sent me scurrying back to books featuring sunshine and olives. No wonder all these men are constantly thinking about Ancient Rome when faced with the bitter reality of Londinium as of Jan/Feb 2024. 

So here is my second list of books to read when you can't stop thinking about Ancient Rome...

The Books

Falco: Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis 

The Falco series looks set to be my new obsession. It's set in Rome, about eight years before Vesuvius erupted. Falco is an informer (a private investigator) and the series delightfully inverts every 'hardboiled PI' trope imaginable. Falco may live in a scummy area, have served in the military, and has an eye for the ladies... but he's also gregarious and empathetic, has a close relationship with his huge and matriarchal family, and is transforming into the ultimate wife-guy. If I said he could be played by David Tennant circa 2005 you can picture him perfectly. 

This book is a very close sequel to the first, to the point I would consider it more of a two-parter. Falco spends a great deal of time in Naples, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Capri, and Amalfi - all places I visited on my trip! 

Falco: Venus in Copper by Lindsey Davis 

Naturally I moved on to the third Falco book ASAP. This is a more traditional mystery, as Falco returns to private work after his government missions. This time he faces off against a femme fatale, as he is employed to prevent a wealthy freed slave from marrying a professional black widow. Meanwhile he tries to move to a newer, nicer apartment and deals with an enormous fish. 

A great deal of this book is spent raging against the landlord class, and I was here for it. 

Honey & Pepper by A.J Demas

This queer romance isn't strictly set in Ancient Rome but in a slightly hand-wavey Ancient Rome-ish place with Ancient Rome-ish traditions. Everyone is wearing togas and eating garum, is what I'm saying. 

Two former slaves, a clerk and a cook, have an instant attraction to one another, but have to untangle themselves from their pasts both literally (due to a criminal scheme cooked up by one of their former owners) and emotionally. 

This manages to keep the sweet romance on track without ignoring the bigger issues at play. It packs a surprising punch for a mere two-hundred pages. 

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche