Skip to main content

The Books I DNFd in 2023... and Why.

I want to be a completionist, but I'm really not. I tend to wander off from books I don't enjoy, rather than admit I don't enjoy them. Recognising that has been the reason I've read more this year, as I haven't been stalling for weeks on a book that bores me. 

So I DNFd a fair amount of books this year, for both serious and petty reasons. This list is a nice way to examine the trends in the books I just don't like... 

In Which I Discover I Dislike YA Fiction... 

The Devil's Revolver by V.S McGrath

A promising start and a genre I enjoy (fantasy westerns/feminist westerns) but I don't like quest journey stories (sorry LOTR fans). 

Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

I tried twice and failed. This civil war era zombie western with a black heroine should be my thing, and yet it was too YA. As you'll see... this is the year I realised I hate YA fiction even when I love the concept of the book. 

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

YA and Romantasy... this book was the nail in both of those coffins. The setting was delicious, though.

Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim

The two main reasons for not engaging with this were that it has a very young teen as a protagonist and I have a snake phobia (it has lots). But I was also on holiday and I think I was in the wrong mood.

The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale

This is a book I might once have struggled through, but this time I recognised that I was more irritated than engaged with it and stopped. Growth! This is fantastic if you like The Night Circus, which I hated (and yes I forced myself to finish it). Also I loathe love triangles, and while it wasn't YA it felt like it was for the majority of the time. 

The Ones That Annoyed Me Irrationally...

Her Majesty's Royal Coven by Juno Dawson

I think I had a low level of irritation with this book due to the aggressive promotional campaign it had. It took until the Barbie movie before I could see hot pink without flinching. Still, it worked. I bought it and maybe I judged it harder as a result. But I found it too pleased with itself, too eager to make pop culture references, and not especially unique as urban fantasy goes. 

It Came from the Closet by Multiple Essayists

An essay collection that should have fascinated me, yet was so full of navel gazing and so badly structured that it was enraging. Why force people to stick to one horror movie and not allow them to discuss the horror genre more widely? Why was I, who struggles to feel part of the queer community, convinced that my own experience was more interesting than at least half of them? What the fuck does you turning your nice sister's wedding invitation down because gay marriage isn't legal for you (you prick, btw) have to do with Godzilla? 

The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix

Reading this on holiday was the wrong vibe, but it's also the Hendrix book that Hendrix fans dislike. It's just frenetic and establishes its universe ineffectually.

The Just Plain Boring Ones...

Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski

This series should be my absolute JAM - fake podcast investigations are my thing - but it was so unengaging that I gave up on both the attempts I made to read it.

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

I really enjoyed the first book, Bear Town, but I found this over-long and less driven than the first book. It's one of the few on here I might return to. 

Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell

There were a few good short stories but it was just overwhelmingly literary, to the point I stopped understanding what was going on.

The Mist by Stephen King

I love the movie of this, but I have a love/hate relationship with King, and it's far more often hate than love. This surprised me by being neither of those things... just utterly boring.

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

I've tried H.G Wells before and gave up. This cements him as an author I find too boring to read.

Perishables by Michael G. Williams

This was so short and yet I stalled for days on it, even though it wasn't bad. It's possible that I was pretty burnt out on reading (it was my last book of the year) so I may yet return to it. 

Other Reasons

This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay

This is actually brilliant and funny and very relevant but... it's a doctor's diary and I was just too squeamish. He also focuses on OB/GYN areas which is a subject that makes me woozy. I decided I was better off not struggling on.

 

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche