Skip to main content

The Northern Lights Lodge: Legends and Lattes Goes Hygge

Witness me striding over to the window.  I throw said window open and lean out, startling an urchin below. (Naturally, I have a comical olde-world sleep cap on.)

"You there! What genre is this?" 

"W-why... it's traditional romance ma'am!"

I step back and dance around my bedroom in delight. A miracle has occurred. My cold, dead heart is beating once more - because I read a traditional romance novel and it was fantastic.  

Unlike Scrooge, who we are assured stuck to his new do-gooding lifestyle, I am probably not going to become a romance devotee, but in this particular case I am delighted to be proved wrong. 

Traditional romance is traditionally the stuff of Mills and Boon. Where they once had covers of men and women in various stages of their clothes falling off, contemporary romances now have covers with characters drawn in a cartoonish style, looking wistfully at each other like they are part of a the syllabus textbook for a GCSE in Pining. 

The Northern Lights Lodge [Julie Caplin] is one of a series based in various exotic locations. She writes attractive heterosexual couples finding love in Croatian Caves, Japanese Tearooms and Crumbling Scottish Castles (that couple got the short end of the straw, tbh). This one is, as I'm sure you've guessed, one for the romance reader who wants a little Scandi experience on the side, or wants a winter read without having to commit to Christmas. 

Lucy is the former manager of a luxury Manchester hotel, recently fired for gross misconduct. She is desperate for any reference, and so accepts a two month contract in Iceland, running a small lodge. Scottish Alex is a manager for a huge chain about to buy the Icelandic lodge, and he's asked to report on the hotel for the new owners, which he does by going undercover as a barman. Lucy arrives and is immediately beset by troubles - someone is sabotaging the hotel. Can they find the culprit, find true love, and keep their jobs?

I mean, yes, of course they can. But it was entertaining nonetheless. 

This book reminded me, of all things, of Legends and Lattes. The appeal of that book wasn't the fantasy world, but the joy in watching someone build something up in satisfying increments. Watching Lucy build her confidence back up, solve problems, find missing décor, create friendships with the staff, adjust menus and get a sheep out of a hot tub was joyfully small escapism, just as her trips to Icelandic beauty spots gave me the satisfaction of googling them and imagining being there whilst on my nice warm sofa.

The romance is thankfully down-to-earth. There is no pointless drama, just two people trying to work each other out. Even when the 'betrayal' is revealed (and even exaggerated), everyone acts mostly sensibly and with minimal leaping-to-conclusions or silly fighting-for-the-sake-of-drama. 

There are a couple of darker touches to be wary of - Lucy is dealing with career fallout as the result of an emotionally manipulative relationship and sexual harassment. She faces other instances throughout the book due to her unwanted 'notoriety'. This is generally handled well, with most of her support and development about those issues coming via her friendships with other women, and not by magically finding her true love.  

Perhaps it's silly to devote so much review time to a 'fluffy romance' but if this has made you consider reading something that's a bit different than your usual tastes, then, in the words of another Christmas Carol character, god bless us, everyone... 
 
[If you would like to see me tackle some actual Icelandic fiction, I'm also reading Icelandic folktales as part of my Short Story Advent]

I write this blog purely for my own enjoyment, not to make a career or become a content creator. Even so, I put a lot of work into it. If you fancy supporting me on Ko-Fi, that would be incredibly cool of you!
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche