Skip to main content

I Read The Hen Who Dreamed she Could Fly and Now I Need to Hug my Mum

Sprout has no name, except the one she gives herself. She chooses it because sprouts (as in the plants) are the beginning of life, and for an egg-laying hen trapped in a battery cage, the prospect of creating life is a daring dream. 

So begins Sun-Mi Hwang's short novel, which follows Sprout from the farmyard to freedom. It may sound like the start of Chicken Run but make no mistake, freedom here comes at the cost freedom always comes at - danger, sacrifice, and no garuntee of happiness. The only reward is in making one's own choices - and in accepting the consequences. What Animal Farm is to Communism, this book is to free will. 

I saw a post recently that said 'female Korean authors cut like a knife' and oh boy is that true here. The book forces the reader back into a child-like state - which is the last time most of us read illustrated books about the barnyard. For English readers, the characters transport us back to Charlotte's Web, The Animals of Farthing Wood, and Dick King Smith novels. The kingly rooster, his aloof bride (the only chick-rearing hen on the farm), the boastful guard-dog, and the conniving weasel... all could fit into those books with ease. But Sun-Mi Hwang never lets you forget that these are not child-friendly characters. The rooster's bride is made anxious and selfish by the continual loss of her children, the proud guard-dog is replaced by the farmers with barely a blink, and even the monstrous weasel is just a carnivore, fighting to survive. 

But it's motherhood that sits at the heart of this novel. Sprout's only wish is to sit on an egg and hatch a chick. She is too old to lay, and has no concept of fertilisation, but she eventually gets her wish when she finds an abandoned egg. At this point I began to worry. I'd been promised an emotional roller-coaster, but stories of motherhood don't particularly affect me. I have no children and no strong opinion either way on whether I want them. I don't know what it is to yearn for motherhood, nor can I comprehend the emotions of raising a child in difficult circumstances.

Fortunately those fears were unfounded because I forgot that, though I may not be a mother, I have a mother; one with whom my relationship has not always been easy. It's hard to see Sprout's eventual child and not think of my own resentments, my desire to 'not turn into my mother', my bitterness, and - yes - my very real love for her. At the end of the novel (a moment that will break any reasonable human) I have to accept that in that scenario, I'd be the one causing the pain, however natural it might be to grow up and build one's own life. To have the book return you to childhood and then show you the sacrifices that even the most average parent makes seems a cruel trick indeed.

I won't talk about the final scene, but suffice to say, it's an image that will stay with me for a long time. If my eyes were a bit damp at that point, the last line was all that was needed to open the floodgates. 

Would I reccomend this book? Yes. Though it's very short, so you might want to wait until it's on sale, rather than pay full-price.

Where did I hear about this book? I believe it was mentioned in a Books and Bao vlog, but I could be wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... How Many Books Do I Actually Own? A TBR Masterlist

The one natural law of being a book-lover is that you never, ever address just how big your TBR pile is. That, as far as we are all concerned, is a private matter between our bank accounts and God.  Well, no longer! As part of my Read What You Own challenge, I've been picking up books I ordinarily wouldn't have got to for years, if ever. I therefore decided to catalogue the books I own, across all formats.  Let the judgement commence!  This is going to be an ongoing list of what I actually own - not as a guilt-inducing tool, but a reminder of the wealth of options I already have. Notes: A great number of these books were either free or low cost. My usual price range is 99p to £5. This list has also built up over ten or so years, so I'm not spending thousands annually on books!  Around sixty to eighty of these titles came from Storybundles, so were not bought individually but as a group, often with the intention of only reading a handful of the titles.  I have not included

Twenty-Five Days of Short Stories: My Festive Advent

Believe it or not, despite being a massive chocolate fiend, I don't like chocolate Advent calendars. Nor do I like the over-the-top-ones for adults filled with gin, or jewellery or make-up (usually costing a ridiculous amount of money.) For me, Christmas begins more simply, with either an Advent candle or paper Advent calendar (with the only treat behind each window being a little picture.) But the latter is hard to find these days, and the only space I have to put a candle makes them gutter so badly that burning them evenly becomes a complex act of turning and timing.  As my Christmases are increasingly bleak ( no decorations either at home or work, some unhappy memories, little time for friends, extra work responsibilities, body issues, and the prospect of going home not being appealing ) I wanted something to bring me at least a little Christmas joy. So this year I've decided to do something different.  I own five collections of short stories with a festive theme, all havin

Book Masterlist 2024

Here is where you can see a list of everything I read in 2024 and find links to any blog posts mentioning those books. To see my 2023 list, go here .  January Scorched Grace [Sister Holiday Mysteries 1] Shadows in Bronze [Falco 2] Honey & Pepper  A Thief in the Night  Venus in Copper   [Falco 3] Linghun  Our Secret Wedding [Sky High Scaffolding 1] Strong Poison [Lord Peter Wimsey 5] The Writing Retreat  The Lighthouse Witches February Payback's a Witch [Thistle Grove 1] Compound a Felony: A Queer Affair of Sherlock Holmes  Burning Books for Pleasure and Profit [Short Story] A Blink of the Screen Jurassic Park Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters  Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories  True Crime Story E. M Forster: Collected Short Stories  Gaslight Arcanum Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  The Thursday Murder Club [The Thursday Murder Club 1] Pirate's Queen March Bunny Persephone [Short Story] Defending Jacob  Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity The Watche